Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Shortcuts

I walk home from school nearly everyday. And by "home", i mean my father's business, Wilson Shoe Store. It is not my actual home, but it might as well be considering how much time i spend up here. Its the only place i have access to a computer. So whenever you read this blog...know that i am in the midst of thousands of shoes.

Anyway, that is besides the point. The point is: that i walk here after school. Now on these walks i am by myself, with no one else. And if you know me very well, you understand that i love company and that telling me that i am going to be alone for even a little while is the equivalent of torture. So these walks were dreaded. I always used to plug in my iPod and just kind of tune out to the world. no pun intended.

But a few weeks ago during a book study with my Sr. high youth group i read about a really revolutionary idea. I could use these 10-15 minute daily walks (depending on my energy level) to talk with God. 'Why didnt i think of this before?' i wondered. And after only a few days of trying this different kind of "quiet time" i realized that my stress levels had started to drop. Only then did i realize that when i was "tuning out" i was really subconciously stressing myself out about- being behind on schoolwork, some remark some girl made about my outfit that day, an argument i had with my friend, etc. So when i started praying on my walks home, i was consciously giving my troubles over to the Lord. And soon enough, i began to look forward to walking home. There would never be another day when i was dying for a shortcut.

1 comment:

Teresa said...

I loved this, I'm glad you've decided to write friend. :)

I think so often we think that when we spend time with God it looks like: reading the Bible and praying. Which I mean, those things are needed! But, rarely do people think of spending time with Christ while walking, talking, reading, at a coffee shop, at school or work. I began thinking about those things a few months ago - so I'm glad that you are well. Our time with God can be anywhere - prayer is time with God, and you found that while talking a walk. :)